Asda became the latest supermarket to remove disposable barbecues from sale, joining Tesco, Sainsbury’s and the Co-op. Retailers including Wilko and The Range have also taken similar action, while Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer have not sold disposable grills since 2022.
The temporary withdrawals come after firefighters responded to recent fires in places including Dunwich in Suffolk and the Rhondda Valley in Wales. According to the National Fire Chiefs Council, fire services in England and Wales have dealt with more than 700 wildfires so far this year.
Retailers Follow Fire Chiefs’ Guidance during Dry Conditions
The supermarkets removing disposable barbecues from sale have acted in line with voluntary guidance from the NFCC, which is in place until Wednesday 12 August. The guidance advises against using disposable barbecues in open countryside, parks and moorland areas to reduce the chance of fires starting.
The Co-op said it had temporarily withdrawn all disposable barbecues because of the current weather conditions and drought concerns. A spokesperson said the retailer had a long-standing policy for the safe sale of disposable barbecues, supported by the NFCC, and that the decision was made in line with the organisation’s guidance.
Tesco also confirmed that it had paused sales across its stores and online platforms. According to a Tesco spokesperson, the company follows the voluntary code on disposable barbecues created by the British Retail Consortium and the NFCC.
Sainsbury’s has removed the products until 12 August, while Asda began withdrawing them on Tuesday. Morrisons appeared to still be selling disposable barbecues online on Tuesday evening and had been contacted for comment.

Calls Grow for Longer-Term Action on Disposable Grills
The temporary measures have renewed debate about whether further restrictions should be introduced in the future. Jon Pearce, the Labour MP for High Peak in Derbyshire, had written to major retailers asking them to stop selling single-use grills for the rest of the summer.
Mr Pearce welcomed the decisions by large retailers and urged smaller shops to follow their example. Speaking to the Press Association, he said voluntary guidance from the NFCC on disposable barbecues should become mandatory.
He also argued that the country needs to prepare for changing climate conditions. “The big retailers are taking the lead, which is great, but now we need the others to come in behind them,” he said, according to the Press Association.
Mr Pearce said the current suspension addressed an immediate issue but called for government action ahead of future summers. He also said he would continue campaigning for a ban on disposable barbecues in public spaces.
The NFCC has warned that wildfires are placing sustained pressure on fire services. According to the organisation, hot weather alone does not cause wildfires, as fires require a combination of suitable conditions, fuel and an ignition source. Human activity, including discarded cigarettes, campfires and other accidental causes, can contribute to outbreaks. The current supermarket measures are expected to remain temporary while fire risks linked to the ongoing dry conditions continue to be assessed.








