UCL’s Visa Crisis Resolved: International Students Can Now Begin Their Studies

UCL’s international students faced a dramatic setback after the university exceeded its visa allocation for the year. With hundreds of students left stranded, the Home Office stepped in to provide extra visas, ensuring those affected could take up their places. The resolution brings much-needed relief to students who were on the verge of deferring their studies.

Published on
Read : 2 min
UCL extra visas
UCL extra visas. © Shutterstock

University College London (UCL) has announced that hundreds of international students, particularly from China, will be able to begin their studies after an agreement with the Home Office granted additional student visas. The news follows a crisis in which UCL exceeded its annual visa allocation for international students, leaving many with confirmed places in limbo.

The issue arose from an unprecedented surge in demand for places, coupled with an underestimation by UCL of the number of students needing student visas. As a result, students who had been issued with confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) documents were suddenly told they would have to defer their studies. Many of these students had already committed significant funds towards travel and accommodation, leaving them in a precarious situation.

A Promise Delivered After Uncertainty

According to UCL, the university had to issue an apology to affected students, expressing deep regret for the confusion and disruption. The institution offered £1,000 towards visa application costs for students who had opted for the UK Visa and Immigration’s “super-priority service”. While some students were reassured that they could still begin their studies, others were left waiting for final confirmation.

The issue had a major impact on students from China, with about 200 affected, many of whom were already in the UK for the start of the academic year. UCL initially told these students they would need to be in the UK by October 10 to secure their place, creating additional stress for those already facing financial losses. However, the resolution of this issue means that these students, alongside others impacted, can now proceed with their academic plans without further delay.

“We’re pleased to be able to assure our affected international students that they can now begin their studies at UCL.” a spokesperson for UCL said. “We wholeheartedly apologise to all those who have been impacted by the recent uncertainty and we are incredibly grateful for their patience. Our teams are now working quickly to contact students directly with updates and support.”

Diplomatic Resolution Between UCL and the Home Office

The crisis unfolded when UCL inadvertently surpassed its CAS allocation, which is the number of electronic documents the university can issue to international students as part of their visa application. This situation put UCL at odds with the Home Office’s rules, creating a deadlock that left students at risk of losing their places.

Following intense negotiations between the university and the Home Office, an agreement was reached. UCL received additional CAS numbers, allowing these students to proceed with their visa applications and join the university this academic year. 

Leave a comment

Share to...