Econostrum | Economic News in the Mediterranean
     

GEFCO to join CMA CGM Group


Written by Frédéric Dubessy on Friday, April 8th 2022 à 10:55 | Read 447 times



GEFCO specialises in the logistics of finished vehicles (photo: GEFCO)
GEFCO specialises in the logistics of finished vehicles (photo: GEFCO)
FRANCE. The Marseille-based shipping group CMA CGM announced on Friday 8 April 2022 that it had taken over "almost 100%" of the capital of GEFCO, a French logistics company specialising in finished vehicles. The company, a former subsidiary of PSA Peugeot Citroën (now Stellantis), will strengthen the offer of the shipping company and its logistics subsidiary CEVA Logistics, into which it will eventually be integrated to "create a world leader in logistics for the automotive sector", according to a CMA CGM press release.

"The acquisition of GEFCO allows us to take a new step in our development strategy and reinforces our position as a global player in transport and logistics. With GEFCO, our subsidiary CEVA becomes the world leader in automotive logistics," said Rodolphe Saadé, CEO of CMA CGM.

The Marseilles-based company plans to boost the development, especially internationally, of GEFCO, one of Europe's leading contract logistics companies. The latter will benefit from CMA CGM's technological and logistical know-how and CEVA Logistics' expertise and network to "develop its activities and further expand its customer portfolio", according to a press release.

A 10,000 m² warehouse in Tangier Med in the hands of CMA CGM

"The project led by CMA CGM will enable GEFCO to continue its business in a secure environment, to support the transformation we have initiated and to strengthen our development in the years to come. This merger between two French companies. This merger between two French companies augurs many opportunities for GEFCO in terms of innovation and sustainable growth," says Luc Nadal, Chairman of the GEFCO Group Executive Board.

GEFCO has been growing through acquisitions and in 2022 acquired the Commerce & Lifecycle Services (CLS) business of the American technology wholesaler Ingram Micro and a 51% stake in the Aix-en-Provence-based Colis Privé. By adding the acquisition of GEFCO to CEVA Logistics, CMA CGM is "creating a French leader to serve our customers worldwide", according to Rodolphe Saadé.

Founded at the end of 1949 and based in Puteaux in the Paris suburbs, GEFCO is also present in the aeronautics, pharmaceutical, energy and distribution sectors. In January 2012, RZD (Russian Railways) acquired a 75% stake in GEFCO, with PSA retaining the remaining 25%. The company has a network in forty-seven countries and around forty subsidiaries*. It employs 11,500 people, including 2,500 in France.

At the end of February 2022, GEFCO inaugurated a 10,000 m² warehouse in the Tangier Med free zone ("Medhub"), which has been operational since January 2022 with eleven loading and unloading docks. After acquiring 70 of the Italian group Mercurio in April 2011, it bought the Spanish company GLT in January 2018 to strengthen its position on the Europe/Morocco axis.

*In order of creation, in Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Argentina, Brazil, Morocco, Turkey, Tunisia, Czech Republic, Russia, China, Austria, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Hong Kong, Slovenia, Chile, Lithuania, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Bulgaria, South Africa, Dubai, Croatia, Mexico, United States, India, Algeria, Iraq, the Netherlands (via the acquisition in September 2015 of the Dutch company IJS Global), Greece, Serbia and Korea



   Partners









About Econostrum.info Econostrum.info is an independent media that deals with the daily economic news of the countries bordering the Mediterranean. Economic cooperation, business news by sector (Industry, Services, Transport, Environment, Society/Institutions), thematic files, airport news, airlines and shipping companies (new destinations)... are treated and analysed by a team of journalists present in the Mediterranean basin. Subscribe to Econostrum.info To be the first to know, with unlimited access to all articles. To receive the weekly newsletters and special newsletters sent as soon as our files are published. Automatically renewable subscription, but the reader keeps control of it or yearly subscription. For individuals or professionals...